Friday, March 21, 2008

Cats

For those of you who have read my books, you know that cats have been an important part of my life. When we lived in Florida we had five cats. We currently have two, for a total of seven during our married life (which is going to be twenty-four years this August!). So between all of these cats and others that I've known over the years I thought I pretty much knew about cats. Well, I was wrong!

Last April we acquired our seventh cat. We adopted him from the Humane Society in hopes that he would be a good companion for our, until then, only cat whose name is Punkin. Benny, the new cat, was about five months old when we brought him home and apparently had spent nearly all of his life in the shelter. We had him checked out by the vet. He had a little problem with one eye that required ointment, and he apparently has seasonal allergies as he can sneeze with the best of them. I was quite amazed at the amount of goo that that little cat could produce. Anyway, it wasn't these little problems that made Benny so very different from our other cats. It's the way he behaves. How's that? I'm glad you asked!

Benny will come when you call him; he plays fetch with our son; and he must find a lap to sit on. He's really more like a dog in some respects than a cat and I think it's just the funniest thing! My husband said that perhaps he was accidentally housed in the "dog" section of the shelter while waiting for adoption. Probably not. I'm just thankful that we found the perfect cat for our very active son. The two were made for each other!

Oh, and Benny and Punkin are finally getting along together. It took quite a while before they were able to co-habitate in peace. And now, almost a year after Benny joined our family, they actually play with each other without trying to kill each other. As my grandmother used to say, "It's a wonder thing!"

Back to LA Krueger's website

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what a cute story.
I have 5 indoor cats and one outside cat and 2 doggies
Hugs
Lynn